Help Anthony Pettis Get on a Wheaties Box
UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis needs your help to get a win. He doesn’t need your help for his upcoming title fight against Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181, this is for something different. UFC fans can help Anthony Pettis get on the front of a Wheaties box, a great honor for athletes across many sports.
Wheaties is letting America select the next elite athlete to be featured nationally on the iconic Wheaties box. It’s the first time in their 80-year history that they’ve let fans pick the cover athlete. Five athletes from five sports will compete for the honor, and they’ll need the support of their fans in order to get the win.
It’s part of the Wheaties NEXT Challenge, powered by MapMyFitness. But fans can’t merely click a button. In order to cast their vote they’ll have to get out and move. Challenge participants will vote for their favorite athlete by logging workouts through the MapMyFitness platform – either manually documenting online, recording through any of the apps (MapMyFitness, MapMyRun, MapMyRide, MapMyWalk) or by connecting any one of the 400+ compatible devices. The Wheaties NEXT Challenge runs through August 31, and the athlete with the most votes via workouts logged will appear on the Wheaties box in early-2015.
“Throughout history, the front of the Wheaties box has chronicled the greatest achievements in sports,” said David Oehler, marketing manager for Wheaties. “The athletes competing in Wheaties NEXT are dominating in their respective sports while displaying the passion and character that embodies a Wheaties box athlete. We are thrilled to bring this competition to life with MapMyFitness and get communities across America moving this summer.”
Here’s Pettis describing what it would mean to him to be on the cover of the Wheaties box.
How to vote:
• Visit MapMyFitness.com/wheatiesnext or download the MapMyFitness app
• Select and join the Wheaties NEXT Challenge
• Register for the Wheaties NEXT Challenge and select an athlete
• Once registered, begin logging workouts
• Every workout logged will count as one vote for the selected athlete (up to two workouts of 30 minutes or more can be logged each day)
• At the end of the competition, the athlete with the most votes via workouts logged will be the next athlete to appear on the Wheaties box
Pettis is up against four other athletes:
- Blake Leeper, American Blade Runner
- Ryan Dungey, Motocross Champion
- Christen Press, USA Soccer Player
- Rob Panell, Lacrosse All-Star
Press was most recently in the lead, so if you want Pettis to get the win you need to get out there and participate in the Wheaties NEXT Challenge.